- Brand: Sony
- Product Code: PXW-FS5
|Battery Operating Time||
With battery pack BP-U90: approx. 6 hours, 50 minutes. (While recording with LCD On, EVF Off when the external device connector is not used.)
With battery pack BP-U60: approx. 4 hours, 20 minutes. (While recording with LCD On, EVF Off when the external device connector is not used.) With battery pack BP-U30: approx. 2 hours, 10 minutes (While recording with LCD On, EVF Off when the external device connector is not used.)
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||
Approx. 4 1/2 x 5 1/8 x 6 7/8 inches (Body only including the projecting parts)
Approx. 7 3/8 x 8 5/8 x 14 5/8 inches
(with SELP18105G and lens hood[optional], large eyecup, LCD viewfinder, handle, grip w/o grip belt and the projecting parts)
Approx. 1lb 13.2 oz (Body only)
Approx. 4lb 14.5 oz (with SELP18105G and lens hood[optional], battery pack BP-U30, large eyecup, LCD viewfinder, handle, grip w/o gripbelt)
|Operating Temperature||32°F to 104°F|
Approx. 11.5W (while recording with LCD Off, EVF On when the external device connector is not used.)
Approx. 12.3W (while recording with LCD On, EVF On when the external device connector is used.)
DC 14.4V ?battery pack)
DC 12.0V (AC adaptor)
Video: XAVC QFHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
Video: XAVC HD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:2 Long profile
Video: AVCHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format compatible
Audio:AVC : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
Audio: AVCHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz / Dolby Digital 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
|Recording Frame Rate||
XAVC QFHD (3840 x 2160) @29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 100Mbps/60Mbps
XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps/35Mbps
XAVC HD (1920 x 1080)@59.94i, 50i, 50Mbps/35Mbps/25Mbps
XAVC HD (1920 x 1080)@29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50Mbps/35Mbps
XAVC HD (1280 x 720)@59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps
AVCHD (1920 x 1080)@59.94p, 50p, PS mode(28Mbps)
AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i/50i/29.97p/25p/23.98p,
FX mode (24Mbps)
AVCHD (1280 x 720)@59.94p, 50p,
XAVC-L QFHD 100 mode Approx. 65 min with 64 GB memory card
XAVC-L QFHD 60 mode Approx. 100 min with 64 GB memory card
XAVC-L HD 50 mode Approx. 120 min with 64 GB memory card
XAVC-L HD 35 mode Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card
XAVC-L HD 25 mode Approx. 220 min with 64 GB memory card
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch PS Mode Approx. 290 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 145 min with 32 GB memory card
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FX Mode Approx. 340 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 170 min with 32 GB memory card
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FH Mode Approx. 450 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 225 min with 32 GB memory card
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch HQ Mode Approx. 590 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 290 min with 32 GB memory card
|Storage Temperature||-4°F to +140°F|
|Audio Input||XLR-type 3-pin (female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48 V selectable|
|Audio Output||Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack|
|DC Input||DC jack|
|HDMI Output||HDMI connector (Type A)|
|Headphone Output||Stereo mini mini jack (x1)|
|Remote||Stereo mini-minijack (?2.5 mm)|
BNC type (x1), SD/HD/3G(Level-B) selectable
SMTPE 259M/292M/424M/425M standards
|USB||Multi/Micro USB jack (x1)|
Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack
|Built-in LCD Monitor||3.5 inch type Approx. 1.56M dots|
|Viewfinder||0.39 inch type OLED Approx. 1.44M dots|
|4K XDCAM Super35 handheld|
PXW-FS5: 4K XDCAM Super 35mm Compact Camcorder w/o Lens
SELP18105G Lens: Sold Seperately
A handheld camera should be able to get you into tight places. To work in your lap. To move with the talent. To shoot high and low angles with equal agility. And a handheld camera should function beautifully against your chest or shoulder, comfortably steadied by your right hand with all the controls at your fingertips. Sony’s extraordinary PXW-FS5 does all of this, and more.
• Ultimate mobility: The FS5 is a radical re-imagining of the FS7 for unsurpassed on the go shooting in the most demanding of conditions. With a body-only weight less than half the FS7 at 1lb 13.2oz, you can shoot almost anywhere.Handheld operation is simply exceptional as the superbly balanced chassis is easily configured to shoot from high to low angles thanks to a flexible, rotatable grip and a LCD viewfinder that can be mounted in no less than nine locations. And as you’d expect from Sony, to provide complete control over lighting in fast moving situations, we invented the first built-in Variable ND Filter for a Super 35mm camcorder.
• Adaptable design: When you’re in the field, you don’t want to lose time or miss any opportunity. The FS5 allows you to quickly add or remove components such as the grip and LCD viewfinder without special tools, while standard ¼-inch screw holes support mounting on a drone, gimbal or in a underwater housing.
• α mount flexibility: Sony’s α mount lens system offers unsurpassed compatibility with both Sony and third-party lenses. The FS5’s E-mount can take Cinema lenses and SLR lenses with a third party adaptor, as well as Sony’s E-mount and A-mount lenses. So whether buying new lenses, or making use of lenses you’ve already purchased, the FS5 makes it easy. You can also purchase the FS5 on its own (PXW-FS5) or with lens (PXW-FS5K). Weighing only 15oz, the SELP18105G is an ideal partner for the FS5 delivering stunning imagery with a 6x power zoom which is easily adjusted by a zoom lever on the camera’s grip and handle. Maximum aperture is a constant F4 from 18mm to 105mm, with excellent resolution and contrast throughout. A lever and ring on the lens barrel allow zoom speed to be freely adjusted as required while maintaining a sure, stable grip. SELP18105G is supplied as standard with PXW-FS5K.
• Handheld 4K at 100Mbps: When quality is everything, make the most of the FS5’s Super35 Exmor sensor and shoot 100Mbps QFHD (3840 x 2160) using Sony's advanced XAVC (Long GOP) recording system. In the future, there will even be the option to record RAW externally (details to be announced). If you need a fast turnaround, switch to Full-HD (1920x1080) recording at up to 60p XAVC 10bit 4:2:2 50Mbps. The FS5 has the flexibility to suit how you need to work, today and tomorrow.
• 240fps slow motion: High Frame Rate shots can turn everyday actions into slow-motion ballet and the FS5 delivers a stunning 240 frames per second (fps) in Full HD XAVC 10bit 4:2:2. If your project plays at the cinematic 24p, you get beautiful 10x Super Slow Motion. There's no sacrifice in bit depth and no "windowing" of the sensor. So there's no crop factor, no loss in angle of view. Please refer to camera specifications for more information.
All of the FS5’s key functions are put at your fingertips - from an electronic zoom lever to assignable dials and responsive joystick. Direct Menu options display onscreen, so shooting parameters can be changed quickly and conveniently without taking your eyes off the action. The smart grip is located as close as possible to the center of gravity of the camera to avoid rolling, while a grip belt makes your hold completely secure. To adjust the smart grip’s angle, you only need to press one button and turn. Detaching the grip is made fast and simple with a bayonet connection.
However you want to shoot, the FS5 adapts to fit your style. Its 3.5-inch* LCD screen can be attached in no less than nine different locations, three on top of the handle and another six on top of the body. And once attached, the positioning of the screen can be freely adjusted – for example either beside the camera body or directly along the axis of the lens. *Viewable area measured diagonally.
Lightweight but robust
Despite its amazingly light 1lb 13.2oz body, the FS5 is more than tough enough for the rigors of real-world shooting. The main frame is magnesium, for high rigidity and light weight. Cooling is an urgent requirement in a 4K camera, all the more so in a camera as compact as the FS5. An advanced cooling system design features a vertical heat sink placed directly beside the image sensor and main circuit board to maximize its effectiveness. An air duct cools the heat sink while isolating the electrical components from exposure to dust.
Modular design for easy integration
The FS5 is designed to be taken apart quickly and easily, with no need for custom tools. There are also ¼-inch screw holes on handle, top and bottom of the body to support mounting on a drone, gimbal or in a underwater housing. For tripod mounting, there’s a 3/8-inch screw hole on the bottom. You can even add the FS7’s rosette mount* to securely attach an FS7 arm and compatible third-party accessories.* Rosette mount component available from Sony's service centers.
Networked for high mobility
Live stream from any event thanks to a choice of wireless LAN or built-in Ethernet. Control a multi-camera shoot from your smartphone or tablet. Built-in NFC supports one-touch authentication possible with appropriate devices. Be first with breaking news thanks to a built-in Ethernet jack for high-speed FTP transfer of full resolution content.
4K Super 35 Exmor® sensor
The FS5 is built around a high-sensitivity 4K Super35 Exmor CMOS Sensor that offers all the benefits of a large format sensor in combination with the exceptional image readout speeds required for 4K motion-picture shooting and Super Slow Motion. 4K resolution. 11.6 million total pixels and 8.8 million effective pixels deliver full 4K resolution. Even if you’re delivering in HD, your recordings will capture detail and image texture that HD sensors simply cannot see. Super35 size sensor offers "bokeh," the defocused backgrounds made possible by shallow depth of field, as well as excellent low-light sensitivity and an expansive field of view. Fourteen (14) stops of exposure latitude deliver powerful grayscale rendition without crushing shadow detail or blowing out highlight detail. Exceptional sensitivity enables you to shoot well after sunset, without tons of lighting and grip. Sony’s Exmor CMOS design provides high-speed full-pixel read- out capability (without pixel binning) and sophisticated camera processing to ensure jaggies and moiré are minimized.
High Frame Rate (HFR) recording
The FS5 offers High Frame Rate (HFR) cache recording at Full HD 10bit 4:2:2 image quality and a frame rate of up to 240 fps. The 8-second cache recording means no more missed shots leading to extra takes. It also lets you pick out footage at exactly the point that you want. It is also possible to record 120 fps with up to 16-second cache recording. Higher frame rates of 480 fps and 960 fps are also possible at reduced quality.
Built-in Electronic Variable ND Filters
The FS5 is the world's first Super 35mm camcorder* with a built-in variable Neutral Density (ND) filter, further expanding the depth of field capability of its large format sensor. Unlike conventional optical ND filters, the electronic ND filter on the FS5 can be controlled from 1/4ND to 1/128ND linearly. This makes the FS5 ideal for fast-moving shoots in changeable environments - there’s no need to change filters as lighting conditions change and variable control makes it easy to keep depth of field under control. *Sony's market research, September 2015.
Clear Image Zoom
This proprietary Sony technology significantly extends your ability to get closer to a remote scene while preserving image quality. Once you’ve zoomed in at maximum optical magnification, By Pixel Super Resolution Technology can enlarge the image by additional 200%. It is also compatible with fixed focal length lenses, so you can zoom into a scene while using a Prime lens.
Center Scan Mode
To support traditional Super 16mm cinema lenses, the FS5 has a Center Scan Mode which selectively outputs 2160x1080 from the sensor’s center. This gives the FS5 all the characteristics of a Super 16mm film camera and avoids any vignetting. It also offers a 2X Digital Extender zoom – effectively doubling your range for HD content.
Accurate OLED viewfinder
A high quality 0.39-inch OLED viewfinder is perfectly offset for right-eye or left-eye viewing OLED’s superb accuracy, high contrast and high resolution (1,440K dot) enables precise manual focus and eliminates any color-breaking phenomenon.
Dual media slots with independent record control
To extend recording time and workflow flexibility, the FS5 is equipped with two memory card slots. “RELAY” mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full, while “SIMUL” mode permits simultaneous recording to two memory cards (for example to create an immediate back-up version). The FS5’s two Start/Stop buttons, one on the grip and one on the camcorder body, can independently start and stop recording on different memory cards while recording in “SIMUL” mode.
Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
The FS5 takes advantage of Sony’s flexible Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, which provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching to compatible accessories from Sony. For example, you can connect and control Sony's wireless microphone systems such as the UWP-D11 or UWP-D12 or attach the HVL-LBPC light.* Accessories sold separately. HVL-LBPC light does not draw power from FS5.
Dual XLR inputs
The FS5 has two XLR connecters – so even if you remove the handle with its standard, easy-access XLR connector then a second on the body is still available, making it ideal for applications such as shooting in a confined space, such as a car interior, or when mounting on a gimbal.
Grip Remote (1)
LCD viewfinder (1)
Accessory shoe kit (accessory shoe (1), accessory shoe plate (1), screws (4))
USB cable (1)
AC adaptor (1) (AC-UES1230)
Power cord (qty is different for countries)
Wireless remote commander (1) (RMT-845)
LCD Protector (1)
CD-ROM "Manuals for Solid-State Memory Camcorder" (1)
Operating Guide (2)
BP-U30 battery pack (1)
BC-U1 battery charger (1)